Friday, March 2, 2012

Spotlight Blogger: Meet Shelby

Shelby with her son & his new adoptive family*
Today's featured blogger is Shelby of "Emotions of Adoption."  Let's find out a little more about Shelby....


First, please tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, where you live, what led you to making an adoption plan, and anything else you feel comfortable sharing).
My name is Shelby Groat, I live in Northern Utah and I am twenty-one.  I was determined to parent.  I left the birth father while I was pregnant so if I’d chosen parenting, I’d have done it all on my own without anyone else.  I’d have people say to me, “being a single parent is hard, but being blind and a single parent will be much harder.”  I wanted to prove to them that I could do it.  When I was about seven months pregnant, I got a call from the birth father and hung up the phone.  I knew right then I had to place my baby.  My whole attitude changed and I began thinking about my baby and not myself.  With two months left of being pregnant, I started making an adoption plan.  I am now married and loving it. 
When and why did you begin blogging?
I had been thinking about blogging for a while but never got around to it.  In October or November I got connected with another birth mom in my area.  I read her blog and instantly decided I wanted to blog and so I did.
Tell us more about the title of your blog.  Why did you choose it?
It was about midnight when I was creating my blog.  I was tired and couldn’t completely think straight.  I felt that “Emotions of Adoption” would fit me because I planned to write anything and everything I was feeling.  
Has the response to your posts been mostly positive, mostly negative, or a mix of both?
I haven’t had many comments on my posts, but they’ve been positive.  
What post on your blog do you consider a “must read” for people visiting your blog for the first time?  Or what post(s) from your blog is (or are) your favorite(s) and why?
I’m in the process of writing up two posts right now.  One is my plan to place, choosing the family and placement.  The other is about me growing up blind and how I do things.  I think once I post those, those will be good to read.  
Do you have any advice for someone thinking of starting their own blog?
Be honest.  Say whatever you have on your mind, no matter if you think it might be offencive to someone.  Be ready.  You will never know what response you might get, so don’t take everything personal.

*Picture used with permission

No comments:

Post a Comment