Thursday, March 29, 2012

Get Connected

After my closed adoption, I struggled with many issues. While there is no magic pill, God showed me some very specific things to do in order to bring about healing. Some had to do with drawing closer to him, others had to do with getting my feet grounded in a solid church and with solid Christians all around me. Today's is about establishing a solid foundation.

Get connected. Are you part of a church? A bible study? It’s important to receive regular Biblical teaching. It helps us grow our faith and opens our eyes to what God may be doing in our own lives.

It is also where we meet other women who believe the same things we do. Some will be stronger in their faith and further down the road. Others will be newer to the faith than we are. Many women will be dealing with issues similar to ones you have and will be trying to find healing with God’s help. Why not join them?

After college I had such a hard time finding a church. It seemed to me that church was a place people went in their nicest clothes and prettiest smiles. While I was involved in a church in college, starting out on my own seemed like a whole new thing. I bore the scarlet letter of an unplanned pregnancy whether or not anyone else could see it. But I persevered and finally found a place I fit in and was able to grow in my faith.

It didn't happen overnight. I was silent about my own hurts for a long time. But then I just started letting the truth come out a little at a time. No one called me names. Or threw me out of the group. That gave me confidence to share a little more and a little more.

Get connected. Try out churches. Visit Sunday school classes and Bible studies. And then commit to one place and put down roots.



Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment