Friday, September 30, 2011

Spotlight Blogger: Meet Katie


Today's featured blogger is Katie of "A Birth Mommy's Story."  Let's find out a little more about Katie...

First, please tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, where you live, what led you to making an adoption plan, and anything else you feel comfortable sharing).

My name is Katie; I am 25 years old and live in Denver, Colorado.   When I was 16 years old I fell in love and decided I was mature enough to make mature decisions; two short months later when I got a positive pregnancy test I realized how wrong I was.  My boyfriend and I spent lots of time talking with our parents about our options.  His mother thought abortion was the only option, something that I never even considered.  My mother on the other hand suggested adoption, at the time we just laughed at that idea but after a few weeks we decided to go ahead and meet with an adoption counselor.  She was an amazing woman who wanted to help us make the right decision, whether that be adoption or parenting.  We continued to meet with her on a weekly basis for the next few months.  By the 5 month mark we both knew that adoption was the right choice for our baby.  We both wanted to parent, but it was unrealistic.  We were both in high school, and needed to graduate.  We held part-time jobs making minimum wage; how could we afford to support a child?  Even if we figured out the financial aspects, when would be get to see our child?  School, then work, then probably a second job to make ends meet….what kind of life is that?  After many adoption profiles we found the perfect family; they lived only an hour and a half from us, had a 3 year old daughter who was also adopted, and most importantly they wanted an open adoption.  We met with them when I was about 6 months pregnant, and we instantly clicked.  After that it was just a waiting game while I continued going to school, working and squeezing in my Doctor’s appointments.  The night of my senior prom I was lying in bed, feeling sorry for myself and my water broke.  We rushed to the hospital only to find out that I wasn’t progressing and needed to be induced.  17 hours later I brought a beautiful little girl into this world.  My boyfriend and I spent two amazing days in the hospital with her, not putting her down unless absolutely necessary, studying every inch of that beautiful face and that wonderful baby smell, hoping to implant that into our brains forever so we would never forget.  Day two was discharge day, and nothing could have prepared me for that.  Saying goodbye to her was, by far, the hardest thing I have ever and will ever do.  Leaving that hospital with empty arms is a horrible feeling, but I just had to remind myself why I made the choice that I did.  My daughter is now 8 years old.  She is beautiful inside and out, full of spunk and an amazing zest for life that I am envious of.  I’d be lying if I said it’s been an easy 8 years; there have been lots of ups and downs along the road.  Today we are in a wonderful place, her parents and I are friends on Facebook, just 2 months ago I got to go see her dance recital, and I know that things will only continue to get better with time.  I’m just very thankful that I was able to provide her with the life I wanted for her.

When and why did you begin blogging?

I started my first blog in my 2009 but didn’t start my adoption blog until late last year.  My original blog was just a mix match of postings about my new life as a new Mom (I’m now a mother to an amazing 2 year old little boy).  At one point on that blog I decided to share my adoption story, I got an amazing response from my readers which was a big surprise.  I started my adoption blog knowing that I’m not a great writer, and that I probably won’t have a huge following, but it is therapeutic to be able to type out whatever is on my mind.

Tell us more about the title of your blog.  Why did you choose it?

My blog is called "This Birth Mommy's Story." I chose that because I’m not creative enough to come up with anything else! Haha, seriously though, the blog is about my life as a birth mother, past and present so I felt it was a fitting title.
  
Has the response to your posts been mostly positive, mostly negative, or a mix of both?

I’ve only had a positive response so far.  While I’m sure there are people who have found by blog who don’t like what I write, they haven’t communicated that to me….yet!
  
What post on your blog do you consider a “must read” for people visiting your blog for the first time?  Or what post(s) from your blog is (or are) your favorite(s) and why?

Anyone reading my blog for the first time should start out with my adoption story so they understand who I am and why I chose adoption.  One of my favorite posts, is titled "The Grass Is Always Greener" which is about comparing your adoption experience to others in the blog world, how someone else will always have something you wish you had, but you need to learn to be happy for what you do have.  This is something I really struggled with after finding some amazing adoption blogs and struggling with my own “adoption envy”. 

Do you have any advice for someone thinking of starting their own blog?

Do it for yourself, and no one else.  Write what you want to write, it doesn’t matter if you have one reader or 1,000.  You don’t have to be a great writer (I’m proof of that) but being able to get your thoughts and feelings out there can be very therapeutic.   And don’t let the Negative Nancies get you down either!

No comments:

Post a Comment