Thursday, January 9, 2014

Word of the Year: More



So the trend of picking a word for the year has finally reached me. To date, my friends have chosen faith, intention and longings. Despite the fact that I love words, I have been a spectator to this sport for the past few years. Sure I have looked at this word or thought of that word, but I've never really picked one to be my "word of the year".

How does one go about picking a word to think on throughout the course of a whole year anyway? How do my friends come up with these words? Of course faith and hope and love are all good words. But there are lots of good words that one could choose. Depending on the day or time of year or weather, Webster is full of ideas for the moment.

But that's not the type of word some seem to choose. Like at my church, our theme for the whole year is Surrender. So according to my pastor, everything we are studying this year we are doing so through the lens of surrendering.

So, with all of that being said, I am choosing the word more for this year. What's funny about that word to me is that I live in an affluent area where more seems to be the norm for everyone. But that's not where my heart is. My more goes along with the Sonicflood song More love, more power:

More love, more power, more of you in my life;
And I will worship you with all of my heart,
I will worship you with all of my strength,
I will worship you with all of my life;
You are my God.
The place that I currently find myself is one where I see how utterly destitute I am without the God the of the Bible to help me. It would seem that the longer I know Jesus, the more right I have to feel superior. But the truth is the longer I know Jesus, the more clearly I see my own depravity, my own wickedness, my own propensity to be hurtful and judgemental and morally filthy.
Because of that, I need more of God. More of Jesus. And more of the Holy Spirit to guide me and teach me. I am redeemed. I am the righteousness of Christ. But because I still walk on this earth, I am nowhere near perfect. I need more of Him in every part of my life.

So do you have a word for the year? If so, what is it and why did you choose that particular word?

No comments:

Post a Comment