Thursday, May 16, 2013

Wholeness or Holeness?



Ok, maybe "holeness" is not really a word, but ever since writing last week's post, I've been bothered by something that came out. Writing for me is oftentimes stream of consciousness and I will write something on the page before I put it together in my head. I'm weird like that.

Anyway, I made the comment that meeting some of you at the BMB Retreat healed me in ways I didn't know I needed. And that continues to bug me; that I  didn't know I still needed healing. Thought I was good - not perfect - but good. I've spent lots of years in counseling, writing, speaking, sharing, trying to work it all out. I can see now that I'm not done.

Maybe I'll never be done.

But back to the point of the post. What heals you? What makes you whole? A lot for me has been rooting my faith deeply in the God of the Bible. I have found that having my own children to parent fills me and heals me. And sharing with other women parts of my journey. And meeting other women like me.

My sister came for a visit this week. She knows me like she knows herself. Although we talk frequently, this was the first time I'd seen her since the BMB Retreat. After a few hours together, she looked at me and said, "Something's different about you. I can't put my finger on it, but you're off."

Maybe so. Somehow I feel more like myself than I ever have before. So tell me, what heals you? What makes you whole?


Photo credit

1 comment:

  1. "But back to the point of the post. What heals you? What makes you whole? A lot for me has been rooting my faith deeply in the God of the Bible. I have found that having my own children to parent fills me and heals me. And sharing with other women parts of my journey. And meeting other women like me."

    I can completely relate. Though my healing has evolved from the kind of healing you think of in response to pain and brokenness, there is certainly a healing and an enrichment that comes from being involved with the birthmother community, other adoption engagements, and raising your family. You almost don't realize the good it does until you experience it - you're not broken and lost without it, but you find yourself energized and uplifted with it.

    ReplyDelete