Friday, March 13, 2015

BMB Reform Blog: Meet Ellen!

Howdy folks!  This weeks BMB Reform Blog interviewee is a birthmom named Ellen.  Let's hear what she has to say!

1.  Please tell us your name and a brief intro to your story.

Hello my name is Ellen.  In August 2012 my gorgeous son was taken into care.  I was in a bad place and had failed to protect him or myself from harm.  That doesn't mean I didn't love him though.  I fought the proceedings all the way through placement hearing but the decision was taken out of my hands and my son was placed for adoption.  In July 2013 he was placed with his new parents, and in June 2014 the adoption order was granted with my blessing.  After much thought and heart break I had accepted that it was best for my son.  I went to the court hearing prepared to be strong but as I uttered the words I was backing them, tears were rolling down my cheeks and I could barely speak.  I left the court that day with my head held high, but by the time I reached the tube station I was in floods of tears and couldn't stop.  I cried my whole journey home.  I composed myself at my front door as I didn't want my flatmates to see.  I laid on my bed and cried myself to sleep.  I woke and tried to be strong.  Two hours later my flatmate found me still crying and just held me and for that I will be eternally grateful.


2.  Are there any aspects of adoption you would like to see changed?  This can be within your own journey or adoption as a whole.

I would like contact to be more open.  I feel in situations like mine, face to face contact should be essential.  More support for birth parents.


3.  What does adoption reform mean to you and why do you think it's important?

It means changes to the law which one day will mean I see my son again.  He was and remains my everything.  He is all my reasons.

Thanks so much for letting us interview you Ellen!



If you or anyone you know would like to be interviewed for this section, or if you have an important reform topic you would like discussed, please feel free to email me!  I look forward to hearing from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment