Monday, June 15, 2009

Watch your Words

Each Monday Lani will share a Bible verse, devotion, or her own thoughts as it relates to being a birthmother. 

As a birthmother there are times when our feelings are hurt by an unnecessary or insensitive comments but I also know that although they may not be related to adoption conversation, I may be guilty of making insensitive comments to others at times as well.  

I love you Lord
and I lift my voice
to worship you,
all my soul rejoice.
Take joy my king
in what you hear
let it be a sweet,
sweet sound in your ear. 

Lyrics from I Love You Lord by Petra

When I read the lyrics to this song I think of all my words and how our words can build someone up or tear them down in a split second. As a Christian, I feel a need to build up even when the other person may be insensitive or if it’s a situation I disagree with. 

The Bible says in Ephesians 4:29, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” (NIV version)  


When we talk in hurtful ways to others they shut down. Our goal is to have others hear us and understand us when we are speaking, right? If not, why would we ever speak at all? 

I hope you find a way to build someone up this week with your words, even in those challenging conversations!


No comments:

Post a Comment