Thursday, April 5, 2012

The 'Mother' in Birthmother


I've heard my mom say that her life is intricately woven into the lives of my my sister and me. She said that not a day goes by that she isn't thinking of us, praying for us, wondering what we're doing, and what is going on in our world at any given moment.

As I rolled that comment over and over in my mind, my thoughts turned to my birthdaughter Katie. How often I have thought of her over the years. How often my heart has wondered where she is, what she's doing and what is going on in her world.

Now that I have my own parented children, I can see my mom's perspective. I currently stay at home with my girls and are constantly involved in the details of their lives. Some days it gets old, but I know it won't always be this way. And I know when that day comes I will be sad. Yes it will be right. Yes I will be happy to know they are independent. But I will miss knowing the ins and outs and ups and downs of their day.

As mothers we are created to play an intimate, critical role in the lives of our children. But as birthmothers that time ends too soon and we are left wondering.


No comments:

Post a Comment