Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Gingerbread Man


Ooooohhh I just love this time of year! I love everything about it. I mean seriously, what other time of year has its own food, its own stories, its own movies and its own soundtrack?

One story that really has our attention this year is The Gingerbread Man. For those not familiar, let me quickly recap what happens. A mother is making cookies with her son. She thinks it would be fun to make a cookie in the shape of a boy. After putting the cookies in the oven, she runs out for a quick minute but before she does she instructs the boy to look after the gingerbread man. “We do not know what he may do.”

Well, the boy quickly tires of watching the cookies and steps away from the oven. As soon as he does, the gingerbread man leaps to life, hops out of the oven and runs away. The rest of the story is about all the people trying to catch up with the little man. Run, run, run, as fast as you can, he taunts, You can’t catch me I’m the gingerbread man!

Such a silly little story, but a good reminder that I can’t outrun who I really am. Warts and all, Christmas is still coming. It doesn't matter if I’m ready or not. It doesn't matter if I feel up to it or not. There is no denying the fact that Christmas is just around the corner.


So how do I cope? Do I run through the holiday season like the gingerbread man, only stopping after the first of the year? Or do I saunter through the next month only to be devoured by the wolf at the end? (Oops.. spoiler alert too late!)

Neither actually. As a wife, a mommy, a birthmom and all the other things that I am, I do what I can do. I enjoy the season and participate as much as I can without wearing myself out. I recognize that this is a tiring time of year and I allow myself breaks, naps and times to just watch a movie or read a book. There are so many options right now on top of my regular responsibilities. It’s still okay to say ‘no’ to some things.

How are you getting through this season? How are you enjoying Christmas while still taking care of yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment