Friday, August 20, 2010

Spotlight Blogger: Meet Rebekah

This weekend’s spotlight blogger is Rebekah of Sailing my Way through Life

First of all, tell us a little bit about yourself. (Name, age, where you are from, what led to you making an adoption plan, and anything else you feel comfy sharing!) 
My name is Rebekah. I was born in California but raised in Arizona. Somehow, through a series of events, I made my way here, to the wonderful state of Colorado.

At the age of 34, I became pregnant with my fifth child. I was already a single mom of four but with the promise of marriage and more love then I would know what to do with, I trusted a man enough to have a child with him. Unfortunately, his love was not as lasting as he promised, and as he ran off with his new flame, I was left behind to be a single mom of now five children. The thought of that was overwhelming.

After much prayer and several weeks of going back and forth, and at about fifteen weeks pregnant, I decided that for the good of the baby in my belly and also my four children at home, I would relinquish my fifth child to adoption.

When and why did you begin blogging?
I started blogging when I was only about six weeks pregnant with my birth son. I did it because I needed a place to just tell people how I felt. I was angry, and confused, and scared. I had no idea that blogging would become a huge part of my life and my adoption story.

Has the response to your blog posts been mostly positive or negative or a mix of both?
I have had a wide range of reactions on my blog. I think my story is hard for people to handle. Most people are supportive but I have a lot of readers who do not agree with the choice I made for my son. I hope that through my blog and through my birth son’s mom’s blog, open adoption can become something that isn’t so scary to talk about.

Do you have any advice for anyone else thinking of starting a blog?
I would say to someone who is thinking of starting a blog to just do it. Who cares if you don’t have readers at first or if you think you have nothing to say. It is so wonderful to be able to say what is on your heart and to not be afraid of the response. I think the most important thing to blogging is to be real. People can relate to the "realness" of people’s lives. It draws us together.

Anything else you’d like to say/share??
I used to be afraid of what people would think of me when I told them my story. It truly is a "beauty for ashes" kind of story. God used my, what seemed to be impossible, situation and used it for His glory. I’m not afraid to talk about it, and blogging helped me do that. 

Thanks Rebekah for taking a few minutes to answer these questions. Be sure to stop by Rebekah's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment