Thursday, April 17, 2014

Easter




The thing that has hit me about Easter the past few years is really simple. Growing up in church, I've heard the Easter story my whole life although I never really understood where the big furry bunny comes into play. But even the eggs make sense to me signifying new life.

The Christian Bible claims that Jesus went to the Cross, was killed, buried and dead for three days. But then he rose from the grave conquering death once and for all. It's so overwhelming and even at my age, I still grapple with some of the logistics of Holy Week.

On Sunday my pastor preached on the traditional passage from Luke 11 that has Jesus entering the city on the back of a donkey and people waving palm branches. But he also taught that Jesus went into the temple and looked around before going home. According to my pastor, Jesus was looking around to see if the temple, his people, were ready for him to be revealed. And they were found lacking.

Now, at this point I want to stop and just say that if it were me, I would have thrown in the towel. I would have thought something like, "My temple is not ready and it never will be," and I would have just kept on walking.

But not Jesus. He knew his people weren't ready. He knew they never would be. And he knew that all those people who had just welcomed him into the city with palm branches and chants would murder him before the week was over. And he still chose to do it. He chose to be tortured. He chose to die.

I don't know if you know this Jesus Christ of the Bible. I hope you do. If you don't, I hope you will take time to think about your decision this week. He went to the cross for me. For you. So we don't have to manage on our own any more.

Happy Easter!




Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment