Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Take Your Time

The decision of whether or not you should make an adoption plan for your unborn baby is not one that should be rushed into. It is a decision that takes a lot of thought, contemplation, and soul searching.

I think often times expectant mothers may feel rushed into making a decision of whether or not they will place their baby for adoption. The impending due date may feel like an alarm clock. You may feel like you need to have chosen a family and have everything planned and in place before the baby arrives. 

I totally get that. I was that way during my own pregnancy. I’m a planner by nature, so I needed everything mapped out, planned out, and figured out long before my due date in order to feel ok about things. 

I also get that you may want to choose adoptive parents as quickly as possible so that you can have time to get to know them better, bond with them, and spend time with them for the duration of your pregnancy. For me, I did have peace of mind that I knew Charlie’s parents pretty well by the time they were leaving the hospital with him in tow since I had spent a lot of time with them during my pregnancy. 

But, I also totally understand that this is one of the biggest decisions you’ll ever have to make so don’t let that impending due date rush you into making a decision about whether or not you should parent or make an adoption plan. And don’t let the time crunch you may be feeling make you rush into choosing a family for your child. Don’t settle. Even if your due date is very close, if you haven’t found a family that meets what you are looking for, keep looking. Keep searching. If it is meant to be, it will happen. 

Just because your baby may arrive is not going to make him or her any less desirable. If your baby is born and everything is not planned and you are moving forward with an adoption plan, it can still be done! Take your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment